David Arnold has been so many firsts for us. He wrote Mosquitoland, which was our first book club selection. We’ve used the photo from that night as our Twitter handle ever since. So it makes sense that the first ever blog tour hosted on this blog would be for David Arnold’s new book, KIDS OF APPETITE. In case you haven’t check it out yet, click the jump and learn all about Kids of Appetite.
From the book flap:
Victor Benucci and Madeline Falco have a story to tell.
It begins with the death of Vic’s father.
It ends with the murder of Mad’s uncle.
The Hackensack Police Department would very much like to hear it.
But in order to tell their story, Vic and Mad must focus on all the chapters in between.
This is a story about:
1. A coded mission to scatter ashes across New Jersey.
2. The momentous nature of the Palisades in winter.
3. One dormant submarine.
4. Two songs about flowers.
5. Being cool in the traditional sense.
6. Sunsets & ice cream & orchards & graveyards.
7. Simultaneous extreme opposites.
8. A narrow escape from a war-torn country.
9. A story collector.
10. How to listen to someone who does not talk.
11. Falling in love with a painting.
12. Falling in love with a song.
13. Falling in love.
As you may already know, this book has been one of my FAVORITE reads this year thus far. You can check out my review where I full-on gush for a thousand words about it. As part of the blog tour, I dare to ask you:
WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE A KID OF APPETITE?
Let’s first start with the all-important book quote:
“And when the kids needed someone most, someone to love and trust, they found one another, and they called themselves the Kids of Appetite and they lived and they laughed and they saw it was good.”
It’s not difficult to be a Kid of Appetite. Here are some helpful guidelines to point you in the right direction should you find yourself wondering if you fit the mold.
- Find your squad, i.e., your ride or die. If you can’t readily identify them, here are some pointers to help locate them:
- They are the ones you come across and write change all over your life
- They are the ones that make everything better (or at least try to)
- They are the loyal ones
- They are the ones that help you find peace amidst the chaos
- They may be already there, they may be around the corner
- Find your passion. You may not have found it, but struggling towards what fulfills your soul and makes you happy is always important to keep top of mind. Don’t be discouraged, even if you experience setbacks or if your journey is long and arduous. Your journey is as important as the destination and can have fulfilling consequences as well.
- Living, laughing and seeing that it’s good. See #2 above, but the journey and all that’s thrown in and sets you back and propels you foward and challenges you are important to take in and enjoy. These steps, however difficult they may seem, are what lead you to where you are, so relish them and enjoy them as much as you can. Your squad can help amplify that enjoyment many times.
- Just be yourself. Chances are, you’re already a Kid of Appetite. Don’t sweat the small stuff, shave your hair off, collect your Chapters, challenge authority, but, in the end, be true to yourself and you’ll forever be able to call yourself a Kid of Appetite.
ABOUT DAVID ARNOLD
I don’t think David’ had time to change his bio, but he’s now a NYT Bestselling author!
Occupation: Writer of stories (and songs)
Publications: MOSQUITOLAND and KIDS OF APPETITE (more info here)
Location: Lexington, KY
Awesome family: awesome wife, awesome son
Previous job experience: freelance musician, preschool teacher, stay-at-home dad
Favorite foods: pesto, chips, coffee, things with cilantro, garlicky things, really good soup I guess
Favorite places: bookstores, record stores, Middle-earth, Hogwarts, my house
Favorite time of year: Christmastime
Favorite music: Elliott, Miles, Tiersen, Arcade Fire, Bowie, The Antlers, Sylvan Esso, Brion, Sufjan, Sakamoto, Sigur Ros, Veirs, Desplat, Debussy
Favorite TV shows: The West Wing, The X Files, Arrested Development, The Office, Seinfeld, Game of Thrones, Community, Six Feet Under
Least favorite things: olives, liars, wet socks
BLOG TOUR SCHEDULE
Don’t forget to catch the rest of the blog tour in all it’s glory!