This morning, YALSA announced their Teens’ Top Ten for 2015 and what a varied list it is!
If you don’t know, YALSA is the Young Adult Library Services Association and is a division of the American Library Association (ALA). They are a “national association of librarians, library workers and advocates whose mission is to expand and strengthen library services for teens, aged 12-18. Through its member-driven advocacy, research, and professional development initiatives, YALSA builds the capacity of libraries and librarians to engage, serve and empower teens.”
Every year, they put out the Teens’ Top Ten is a “teen choice” list, where teens nominate and choose their favorite books of the previous year! Nominators are members of teen book groups in sixteen school and public libraries around the country. Nominations are posted on the Thursday of National Library Week, and teens across the country vote on their favorite titles each year. Readers ages twelve to eighteen will vote online between August 15 and Teen Read Week™ (October 18-24, 2015) at www.ala.org/yalsa/reads4teens; the winners are announced the week after Teen Read Week (this week!).
Below is their announcement video followed by a written list to print and take to the bookstore with you next visit.
- The Shadow Throne by Jennifer A. Nielsen (Scholastic)
- I Become Shadow by Joe Shine. (Soho Teen)
- To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han. (Simon & Schuster)
- My Life with the Walter Boys by Ali Novak. (Sourcebooks)
- Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas. (Bloomsbury)
- The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare. (Simon & Schuster/Margaret K. McElderry)
- The Young Elites by Marie Lu. (Penguin/G.P. Putnam’s Sons)
- The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson. (Macmillan/ Henry Holt & Company)
- Since You’ve Been Gone by Morgan Matson. (Simon & Schuster)
- The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith. (Hachette/Poppy)
If you don’t go check these books out from your local library, we would suggest purchasing them at your local bookstore, like ours, Inkwood Books.